What Are Calluses?
A callus is an area of thickened, hardened skin on the underside of the foot. usually found where the foot bears weight. Calluses will cover a diffuse area and have a relatively equal thickness. The skin naturally goes through a process called keratinization in which the skin cells die off as it reaches the top layer. This is how dead skin forms. A callus will form when this process is stimulated into over-activity in response to excessive or repetitive forces.
What Are The Symptoms Of A Callus?
Symptoms of a foot callus include:
- Area of abnormally hard skin
- Vary in size and shape
- Usually does not cause pain; however, may cause pain if too thick or skin breakdown underneath the callus is present
How Do I Treat Calluses?
Calluses can be removed during an appointment with one of our foot specialist or licensed chiropodist who will safely remove the build-up of tissue and assess whether shoe inserts or properly fitted custom orthotics
may be indicated to prevent their recurrence.
If you have diabetes
or another condition that causes poor circulation in your feet, promptly consult a chiropodist to avoid complications.
To schedule best foot care treatment with our licensed Chiropodists (foot specialists), use the booking form below or call 416-769-FEET(3338).
Our Toronto foot clinic is open Monday-Friday 10am-7pm, Saturdays 10am-4pm. You do not need a referral to become a patient at our Foot clinic.
What Causes Calluses?
Calluses are often caused by ill-fitting footwear repeatedly rubbing against the soles of your feet. Biomechanical abnormalities can also lead to increased pressure in certain areas that can then develop callus.
Certain risk factors may increase your chances of developing calluses:
- Wearing shoes that are too loose or too tight
- Wearing shoes without socks
- Boney prominences
- Misalignment of gait
- Occupations or activities which require prolonged periods of weight bearing position
- Loss of fat pad at the ball of the foot; common in elderly
How Do I Prevent Calluses?
Here are various foot care solutions you can do to prevent developing calluses on your feet:
- Wear shoes that fit correctly and comfortably (e.g. orthopedic shoes with modified footwear)
- Moisturize your feet regularly
- Exfoliate your feet
- Correct abnormal biomechanics via footwear modification and best custom foot orthotics