Ingrown toenails can be a real pain, literally. In addition to pain, symptoms can include swelling, redness and irritation. Ignoring ingrown toenails can sometimes lead to an infection, so it’s important to be proactive and get them treated.
While ingrown toenails can be painful, the treatment doesn’t have to be. There are many ways a chiropodist can safely and effectively treat ingrown toenails (click here to learn more about that). In today’s article, we’re highlighting a brand new painless treatment for ingrown toenails at Feet First Clinic, a highly innovative system called Onyfix. Keep reading to learn more!
What is Onyfix?
Onyfix is a completely pain free way to treat an ingrown toenail, which overwhelmingly occurs on the big toe. It involves a composite material applied by the chiropodist across the nail, which acts like a “nail brace” to correct the nails growth.
The Onyfix nail correction system has following components:
- Onyfix primer: This is an adhesive agent. It works similar to the way paint primer does, by allowing the composite (the “nail brace”) to adhere to your nail and not fall off after.
- Composite material: There are two composite materials – hard and soft. The Onyfix Hard is for larger, adult nails and malformations, while the Onyfix Soft is for thin nails and children’s nails. The composite itself is white and has a consistency similar to liquid glue.
- A LED light to cure the primer and composite
How It Works
Ideally, toenails should grow vertically from the base toward the tip of your toes and retain their shape. Misshapen and ingrown toenails, however, grow outward and into the skin. Onyfix works by acting as a nail brace that redirects nail growth and helps the nail retain its shape during the growth process.
If you have an ingrown toenail that won’t go away, you should first book an appointment with a chiropodist for ingrown toenail treatment. Your foot care expert can then determine when and if they should use Onyfix.
Onyfix is applied in conjunction with a standard ingrown toenail and nail care treatment. This involves filing, smoothing and properly trimming the nail. Once that is completed and the nail is flattened and cleared of all debris, the chiropodist will do the following:
- First, the chiropodist will prep the nail by roughening the surface with a ceramic bur (like sanding a surface before priming and painting), and cleaning it with a degreasing agent.
- Onyfix primer is then applied with a cotton swab (again, like prepping to paint).
- The chiropodist will shine the LED light for 10 seconds to cure the primer to the nail. This helps ensure the composite applied in the next step stays on and works properly.
- Once the primer is cured, the chiropodist will apply either the hard or soft composite to the widest point of the nail, creating a white band across the nail. This acts as the “nail brace” (without the wires). The chiropodist may also apply an additional band at the top or corners of the nail.
- The LED light is then applied for 30 seconds to cure the composite.
As the composite hardens, it secures the Onyfix to the nail in a fixed position. There is no tension or pain as the product secures itself. Over time, the Onyfix ensures that the toenail grows in a favourable position and retains its proper shape. This treats and prevents further ingrown toenails.
The Onyfix should last for 2-3 months. During that time, your chiropodist will see you for follow-up appointments to assess the nail growth and potentially add additional bands. After 2-3 months they’ll remove the Onyfix and the treatment is complete. The nail will then ideally continue to grow naturally in the correct physiological position.
Benefits of Using Onyfix
Onyfix is a pain-free solution to ingrown toenails. Additionally, it provides the following benefits:
- It is a non-invasive treatment for recurrent or chronic ingrown toenails.
- It focuses on natural regrowth and reformation of the nail rather than ingrown toenail removal.
- It provides results without using invasive force on the toenail. This is particularly beneficial for people with diabetes.
- It quickly relieves ingrown toenail pain. This is noticeable shortly after the treatment
- You don’t have to restrict your activities after treatment.