There are two types of regulated foot specialists in Ontario: Podiatrists and Chiropodists.
Chiropodists are primary care practitioners that are licensed with the College of Chiropodists of Ontario. They specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of foot diseases, deformities, and any other foot-related concerns. This includes:
- Prescribing and dispensing custom orthotics and foot devices
- Performing foot and nail care such as removing calluses and ingrown toenails.
- Treating dermatological foot conditions, such as fungal infections and plantar warts;
- Diagnosing, treating and managing biomechanical and musculoskeletal conditions affecting the feet and lower limbs.
Podiatrists in Ontario are medical doctors who perform boney surgeries such as bunion correction surgery.
- Antibiotics (oral and topical);
- Topical antifungals;
- Anti-inflammatories (topical, oral and injectable);
- Salicylic acid; and
- Anesthetics (topical and injectable).
Yes. Our clinic is wheelchair and walker accessible. Our staff can also provide assistance if needed, including transferring patients from their wheelchairs to our fully functional, motorized treatment chairs. Treatment can also be provided in a wheelchair, if necessary.
The first appointment will last approximately 35-45 minutes. At your initial assessment:
- The chiropodist will listen to your foot concerns and take a medical history.
- The chiropodist will then examine your feet. If your foot concerns relate to foot pain, mobility or foot deformities, the chiropodist will also conduct a biomechanical assessment and gait analysis.
- The chiropodist will then diagnose your foot issues and any underlying causes.
- The chiropodist will make recommendations, discuss a treatment plan, and begin treatment
- Follow-up appointments will be booked as needed, as well as appointments for any related services to treat your foot issues.
Both the examination and treatment are included in the initial assessment.
We require at least 48 hours’ notice if you wish to reschedule or cancel your appointment. Failure to do so will result in a $50 late cancellation/no show fee, per appointment slot. The cancellation fee must be paid in full prior to booking another appointment.
You will receive a confirmation request and courtesy reminder the day before your appointment via your preferred method of communication.
All appointments must be confirmed by the end of the day prior to your appointment. If we do not receive confirmation, your appointment will be canceled on the morning of the appointment.
Pedicures are considered a cosmetic service. Chiropodists do provide medical nail and skin treatments, including routine nail care, corn removal, callus removal, and safely addressing any abnormalities or concerns, to promote healthy, pain-free feet. We refer to this service as a medical pedicure. We do not apply any nail polish.
Medical pedicures are health-focused, whereas cosmetic pedicures are focused on beauty and aesthetics. Seeing a chiropodist for your nail and skin care gives you confidence that your overall foot health will be addressed in a safe and sanitary environment using the highest level of infection control standards.
Please remove any nail polish before your visit. We do not remove gel or shellac type polishes.
Yes. At our foot clinic, we follow an intense sterilization process and safety protocols in compliance with Health Canada regulations to ensure our instruments are clean and contaminant-free. All of our instruments are steam sterilized in an autoclave after each use, as per the regulations set by the College of Chiropodists of Ontario. The sterilization process effectively kills all microorganisms such as fungi, bacteria, viruses, and spores. Our foot clinic uses a steam sterilization process for all our tools and instruments, which is the gold standard for sterilization. Blades are single-use and disposed of after use.
Please remove all nail polish prior to every visit that requires nail care. The clinic is unable to remove gel or shellac type polishes.
Our simple to use, online booking process makes it easy to book an appointment with a chiropodist for any of our services. No referral needed!