Last-minute Back to School Preparations For Your Feet
Published: September 12, 2019
Last modified: September 26, 2019
With summer over and the back to school rush, we have prepared a small checklist/guideline to get you and your little ones ready for the new school year.
Back to School Checklist:
Often times the transition from summer sandals to closed toe shoes can be hard on the feet for children and adults alike. Be sure to check your children’s shoes to make sure they still fit by checking the following:
- Length: there should be at least 1-2 finger spaces from the end of their longest toe
- Heel: should be fitting just right – not too snug or too loose as this can cause rubbing.
- Width: should be roomy and you should not feel their toes bulging
- Toebox: should be wide and deep – you shouldn’t be able to see toes squished at the top of the shoe
The right type of sock can make a huge difference in eliminating odours and damp socks.
Check the following:
- Materials: Avoid buying synthetic material socks (acrylic, polyester and polypropylene); these breed odour causing bacteria and hold moisture in. If your child has very sweaty feet, avoid buying 100% Cotton socks. Cotton helps to retain heat which allows the growth of bacteria. The most breathable sock material is Bamboo which also has natural antimicrobial properties.
- Fit: If socks are too short they will cause the toes to either rub (causing blisters) or curl (causing nail and skin issues). When purchasing socks, always check the shoe size associated with the fit on the label. When replacing shoes, be sure to also check the size of the socks and replace them accordingly.
- Daily changes: Be sure to check that your child is changing their socks daily. If they have very sweaty feet, it would be beneficial to send them to school with an extra pair of breathable Bamboo socks to change into during lunch.
If your child suffers from stinky sweaty feet, be sure to try the following products:
- Gehwol deodorant foot cream – 24 hour relief with natural Manuka extract which has natural antifungal and antibacterial properties.
- Foot and Shoe deodorant spray – spray once a day to eliminate bacterial and fungal spores from your skin and your footwear.
If your child has been complaining about foot, knee or hip pain, it would be a great idea to get them in for a Biomechanical analysis and Video Gait Analysis with one of our Chiropodists. It is common for children to experience some sort of growing pains. However, if the pain persists for weeks to months or with a specific activity such as running, biking, walking, there could be more serious issues at hand.
At Feet First Clinic, we assess your child’s feet, muscular strength, gait and footwear to make sure it is specific for their foot type and age.
Book an appointment
You do not need a referral to become a patient at our foot clinic. Schedule an appointment by using the Appointment Request form below or contact the clinic at 416-769-FEET(3338).