It can be quite common to ignore our health, especially if we don’t have anything urgent prohibiting us physically. Regardless, this is a mistake, and certainly a common one! This is especially true when you factor in the busy hustle and bustle that comes with living a downtown Toronto lifestyle.
How easy is it to procrastinate and choose to ignore that dull ache, that nagging toenail, whatever it may be? It’s time to say goodbye to that habit, and we’re here to tell you why we recommend an annual foot care assessment at your local Foot clinic. It’s important to outline what to expect during a comprehensive foot exam and assessment. Furthermore, there are certain scenarios when annual foot exams are necessary. Make no mistake, however, anyone from a child to a grandparent should take care of their feet and check-in annually with their trusted chiropodist.
What To Expect During Your Annual Foot Care Assessments
Toronto foot specialists are ready to perform your annual foot care assessment. You can expect and plan for the following to occur during the appointment:
- A licensed Chiropodist will perform a comprehensive inspection of your feet and ankles, without shoes or socks. This will include analyzing the toes, toenails, structure of your feet, skin and heels of your feet. Not only that, but they will assess the performance of the joints and ligaments in your feet. This will allow them to gain insight into your mobility, and if anything is prohibiting optimal mobility. A thorough understanding of your foot arch may also be provided by your chiropodist. You may need special attention if you have Flat feet or a High arch.
- Your chiropodist may ask you to simply walk in your shoes. This will allow them to gain insight into your gait, as well as if you need more properly fitted footwear. Similarly to when they assess the performance of the joints and ligaments, this will also provide them with important information concerning your mobility.
- You play an important role in your annual foot assessments. It’s up to you to convey any new foot pain, skin irritation, structural abnormalities, or any new symptoms you’ve experienced since your last visit. Providing as much information as possible will help ensure you and your foot specialist make the most of your appointment time.
Why We Recommend Annual Foot Care Assessments
There are some scenarios in which annual foot care assessments are necessary, and should be one of your healthcare commitments. Please note they are still suitable and beneficial for all adults and children who are interested in annual foot care assessments.
- The American Diabetes Association strongly urges that diabetes patients book annual foot care assessments, at the very least. This is advised so that the patient can proactively prevent foot ulcers and manage neuropathy (swelling), among other important symptoms. Furthermore, the US National Library of Medicine supports this claim, declaring yearly foot examinations as necessary for risk assessment. They state that key aspects of foot assessments for diabetes patients are beneficial as they include inspection of unusual skin colour on the feet. Furthermore, foot specialists can pinpoint callus and blister development and musculoskeletal deformities, such as claw toes. They can also search for fungal infection development between the toes, observe swelling, and inspect for ulceration development.
- If you’re Growing older, it’s important to be preventative when it comes to healthcare, and this includes your feet. As we age, we’re more prone to developing certain foot conditions, some of which can be life-altering and debilitating. During an annual foot exam, early detection of Gout, Osteoarthritis, or even Bunions, can be critical in determining the right treatment plan.
- You may have a recurring foot condition. An example would be Athlete’s Foot, which commonly flares up. Recurring conditions may require an annual foot care assessment, at the very least.
- If you’ve had a serious foot or ankle injury in the past. If you’ve had a broken bone or sprain, it is wise to periodically check in on how your feet or ankle are recovering. An annual foot exam with a chiropodist, combined with any separate physiotherapy you may need, can eventually help you reach your goal of optimal mobility. You may need more than an annual foot exam, but it’s certainly a start!
Have No Fear!
Is it time to check in on your foot health? If you’re overdue for your annual foot care assessment, feel free to reach out to us! Our foot care experts are confident in their ability to help you and solve your concerns with the least amount of discomfort possible. Call us even to inquire about an annual foot care assessment, we’re happy to answer any questions you may have!
Call us at 416-769-FEET (3338) or Book Your Assessment Today!