We treat a variety of fungal infections affecting both the skin of the feet and toenails. Fungal infections are notoriously persistent and difficult to fully treat with at-home remedies – especially toenail fungus.
This is because our shoes and socks create a moist environment ripe for fungi growth. With toenail fungus, the toenail also serves as a barrier that prevents anti-fungal medication from directly penetrating the source of the fungal infection.
Fortunately, our chiropodists have methods that can circumvent these obstacles. We provide the following treatment for foot and toenail fungal infections:
- Oral and/or topical prescription anti-fungal medication
- Nail Debridement: This involves removing infected parts of a fungal toenail and surrounding tissue, and then applying a prescription-strength topical antifungal medication directly on the fungus growing underneath the nail. Since the toenail can act as a barrier to antifungal medication, nail debridement the medication to directly penetrate the fungus. This procedure may need to be performed multiple times until the fungus is fully eradicated.
- Partial nail avulsion to remove infected parts of the toenail
- Total nail avulsion to totally remove the infected toenail
- Foot and toenail care and maintenance: These services promote healthy skin and toenails, which reduces the likelihood of cuts or abrasions through which infections can enter your skin and toenails. These services can be used to supplement other fungal treatments, or for preventative purposes. See Medical Pedicure.
In addition to the treatment services provided by our chiropodist, our foot clinic also sells various products to supplement your treatment and prevent future infections. These include:
- Moisture-control socks
- Moisture-control, breathable shoes
- Open-toed sandals
- Medicated creams
- Various foot care products to help you maintain good foot hygiene at home
Our foot specialists and knowledgeable staff will help you find the right footwear and foot care solutions to reduce your risk for developing or aggravating foot and toenail fungus.
Our foot fungus treatment services target various fungal infections and conditions, including:
How Do I Get Treated?
At your assessment, the chiropodist will take a medical history and examine the fungal infection. Testing may be done to verify whether or not it is a fungal infection. Afterwards, the chiropodist will discuss a treatment plan with you.
Fungal infections are very persistent and it will likely take multiple appointments to fully treat and eradicate the fungal infection.
Treatment and procedures by a chiropodist are covered – in full or in part – by most private extended health benefit plans. Each insurance company has their own stipulations about what and how much they will cover. If you are unsure about your benefits and coverage, check with your employer’s HR department or your insurance provider. Feet First Clinic can also help you get a policy breakdown on your behalf.
Non-prescription over-the-counter products are not covered by insurance.
Book an appointment for fungal infections
You do not need a referral to become a patient at our foot clinic. Schedule an appointment by using the Appointment Request form below or contact the clinic at 416-769-FEET(3338).