What Is A Cracked Toenail?
- Trauma, such as stubbing or dropping something on your toe
- Toenail repeatedly hitting inside the tip of your shoe, due to:
- Shoes that are too big
- Shoes that are too small
- Participating in sports such as ballet and tennis
What Are The Symptoms Of A Cracked Toenail?
Nail cracks can be minor and simply aesthetically problematic, or severe, with a crack extending all the way to the nail bed. In some cases, the toenail completely detaches from the nail bed. Cracks can occur with and without toenail breakage and may be a symptom of other foot conditions such as a fungal toenail infection.
How Do I Treat A Cracked Toenail?
Our Toronto foot clinic is open Monday-Friday 10am-7pm, Saturdays 10am-4pm. You do not need a referral to become a patient at our Foot clinic.
What Causes Cracked Toenails?
- Wearing open-toed shoes
- Vitamin or mineral deficiency, e.g., anemia
- Fungal toenail infection
- Ill-fitting shoes
- Long distance runners
- Soccer players
How Do I Prevent Cracked Toenails?
- Moisturize toenails daily
- Avoid toenail polish, especially shellac
- Wear closed-toed shoes
Book an appointment for cracked toenail
You do not need a referral to become a patient at our foot clinic. Schedule an appointment by using the Appointment Request form below or contact the clinic at 416-769-FEET(3338).