What Are Flat Feet?
- The medial arch, which runs along the inner edge of your foot
- The lateral arch, which runs along the outer edge of your foot
- The transverse arch, which runs across the width of your foot
What Are The Symptoms Of Flat Feet?
- Foot pain
- Knee pain
- Hip pain
- Overpronation (feet roll excessively inward while walking or running)
What Can Cause Flat Feet?
Certain risk factors may increase your chances of getting a flat foot:
- Having a hypermobile or hyperflexible foot
- Poor foot mechanics, such as overpronation leading to muscle imbalance
- Arthritic conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis
- Genetics – Flat feet may run in the family
- Overuse injury, damage, or dysfunction of the posterior tibial tendon (PTTD)
How Do I Prevent Flat Feet?
Although prevention is difficult, routine foot and lower limb stretches can help to strengthen muscles and reduce the risk of damage.
- Calf stretches and calf raises
- Ankle stretches (against resistance)
- Motion of turning the sole of your foot toward the midline of your body
- Motion of turning the sole of your foot away from the midline of your body
- Motion of lifting your foot upward toward the shin
- Motion of lifting your foot downward toward the calf
- Plantar fascia stretches
- Toe curls
- Toe extensions
How Do I Treat Flat Feet?
- Footwear with interior arch support
- Motion control and stability shoes that help correct overpronation
- Properly fitted best custom orthotics or orthopedic shoes
- Modified insoles
- Avoiding shoes with flat or unstructured soles, such as flip-flops and ballet flats
To schedule best foot care treatment appointment with our licensed Chiropodists (foot specialists), use the booking form below or call 416-769-FEET(3338).
Our Toronto foot clinic is open Monday-Friday 10am-7pm, Saturdays 10am-4pm. You do not need a referral to become a patient at our Foot clinic.
Book an appointment for flat feet
You do not need a referral to become a patient at our foot clinic. Schedule an appointment by using the Appointment Request form below or contact the clinic at 416-769-FEET(3338).