Splinting, Bracing & Taping
Our chiropodists can skillfully and therapeutically splint, brace and tape the feet and toes to treat and prevent a variety of foot conditions and deformities. These treatments include:
- Hammertoe and Clawed Toe Splinting: The toes are taped in a straightened position. This stretches the tendons and ligaments, and in turn aids healing and prevents progression.
- Bunion splints: These are usually made of medical grade plastic and are strapped onto the big toe and midfoot. They are designed to straighten out the MTP joint and hold it in place.
- Bunion aligner: This is a thin sleeve worn over the foot. As the name suggests, it works to realign the big toe and bring it back to its natural position, without taking up too much room in your shoe.
- Therapeutic taping: This is done for conditions like bunions: The joint is taped to help keep it in place, prevent further misalignment, and temporarily manage pain and inflammation.
- Joint immobilization: This involves splinting or bracing joints affected by injury or inflammation to immobilize the affected joints to help reduce pain and inflammation. This can be done for Achilles tendonitis, plantar fasciitis (a boot may be prescribed for plantar fasciitis), and arthritis-related joint damage and inflammation.
Splinting, bracing or taping may be used to treat the following conditions:
You can book an appointment with a chiropodist to have your foot issue assessed. At the assessment, the chiropodist will determine the best course of treatment. If splinting, bracing or taping is required, it will be performed at that time. The chiropodist can also instruct you as to how to properly apply any splints, braces or tape at home, and may recommend follow-up appointments to monitor how your feet are progressing.
The cost of any splinting, bracing or taping is included in the cost of a chiropodist assessment; there is no extra fee.
Most chiropodist services are covered by private extended health benefits. If you’re unsure about your benefits and coverage, check with your employer’s HR department or your insurance policy provider. The Feet First Clinic can also get a policy breakdown on your behalf.
The assessment fee does not include the cost of any splints, braces or tape that you purchase at the Clinic to use at home. Some foot care benefits may cover this expense, depending on the product and if you have a prescription for it.
Book an appointment for splinting, bracing & taping
You do not need a referral to become a patient at our foot clinic. Schedule an appointment by using the Appointment Request form below or contact the clinic at 416-769-FEET(3338).